On April 28, 2023 it will be that time again: The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is celebrated. On this day, worldwide attention is drawn to the importance of safety and health at the workplace. This day was established in 1984 by the International Labor Organization (ILO). The ILO has the task of formulating and enforcing international labor and social standards.
Safety and health at work are of great importance. According to ILO estimates, around 6,000 people worldwide die every day as a result of work-related accidents or illnesses. Occupational health and safety measures are intended to help protect employees from work-related health and safety hazards. The aim is to avoid accidents and protect the health of employees.
Occupational safety deals with, among other things, the avoidance of accidents at work, reducing their consequences, health protection and personal protection at work. It is about the safety of workplaces, the design of working conditions and ergonomics. But the psychosocial stress at work must also be taken into account.
Employers should take steps to make the workplace healthier and improve the well-being of their employees. Some examples that could be implemented:
- Make sure workstations are designed to meet employees’ ergonomic needs. This includes the proper seating position, adequate lighting, the use of footrests and the placement of monitors at the correct height.
- Regular breaks should be ensured to allow employees to stretch and move around. This can help reduce muscle tension and eye strain.
- Fitness programs are to be offered to encourage employees to stay active and improve their physical health. These include, for example, yoga courses, fitness courses or even a company run.
- Employers should also take steps to support the mental health of their employees. This may include stress management training, flexible working hours, workplace design options and psychotherapy services.
- With a corporate health management system, the subject of “health” becomes a central concern. These include, for example, health checks, health advice and coaching as well as employee surveys on job satisfaction and health.
A strong safety and health culture can only come from working together. Employers, employees and their families should share a common interest in ensuring that work is designed in a safe and healthy way. This also means that employees should actively participate in these at work.
The University of Hamburg, for example, has taken part on April 27, 2023 with a day of action to raise employee awareness of the issue of safety and health at the workplace. Because the university as an employer has the responsibility to create a safe and healthy working environment. This involves both the individual workplace and the company as a whole.
In this sense, the World Day for Safety and Health at Work is an important date to raise awareness of the importance of safety and health at work. Because only together we can create a safe and healthy working environment!
Which measures are already being implemented at your workplace? Which of these do you think contribute to a healthier work environment?
International Labour Organization (ILO)
EU-OSHA, eine Agentur der Europäischen Union
Universität Hamburg – Gesundheitsaktionen